Workers at the Fulton Fish Market warming themselves by a fire on a cold March day, 1964.
The Fulton Fish Market was a fish market located in New York City. It was founded in 1822 and was one of the largest and most well-known fish markets in the world. The market was located in Lower Manhattan, near the East River, and it was a major hub of commercial activity in the city. The market was known for its wide selection of fresh seafood, including fish, crabs, lobsters, and more. It was also known for its lively atmosphere, with traders and buyers shouting out prices and deals. In 2005, the Fulton Fish Market moved to a new location in the Bronx, and it was renamed the Hunts Point Fish Market. The old market site in Lower Manhattan was subsequently redeveloped for other uses.
The picture is part of the New York World-Telegram and the Sun Newspaper Photograph Collection.
New York City mayor Robert F. Wagner, Jr. purchasing a pumpkin from Arthur Conklin at a farmer’s market in the Bronx.
Robert Ferdinand Wagner II, usually known as Robert F. Wagner, Jr. (April 20, 1910 – February 12, 1991) served three terms as the mayor of New York City, from 1954 through 1965. After deciding not to run for a fourth term in 1965, Wagner served as ambassador to Spain from 1968 to 1969.
The picture is part of New York World-Telegram and the Sun Newspaper Photograph Collection.